Friday, March 22, 2013

I am no Longer Silent

Here we are livin’ the dream on our little Slice of Heaven one year after it first became ours.  So I thought I’d get things going again, but I have something I need to share with you before we get into all the good, the bad, and otherwise related to living on this land.
 
Disclaimers: 

1.       This will NOT be my typical light-hearted ramblings.  This is me doing my very best to initiate something positive from a dark past.  But after this I promise to limit my philosophical carrying on.

2.       The time I’ve taken to deal with and heal from this is one of the various reasons I have been MIA from the blog I barely started last year.  Well that, and then I had no idea how to explain what I was going through. While it’s still difficult to put to words, I know that it’s time.
 
 “The World suffers a lot.  Not because of the violence of bad people. But because of the silence of good people.” - Napoleon
 
When I was in the first trimester of pregnancy with our first baby, in 2007, I was on the phone with my sister.  She had argued with our step-father and mentioned that she still had a hard time getting along with him because of what he did.  I didn’t have to ask what she meant.  I knew what he did…but then, she APOLOGIZED to me for bringing it up!  I realized in that moment that my very own little sister had no idea that our step-father had also molested me.

So, I said it. 

“I was sexually abused.” 

Now, I’ve said it to the World Wide Web.  Well, I’ve typed it and uploaded it to my tiny blog.

But there it is nonetheless.

It’s a quarter to midnight, and my hands shake as my fingers poke at the keyboard. Having been barely able to admit this to myself for a decade, saying it to others still almost shocks me.  I’m wondering what you are thinking and feeling about this. Unfortunately, I know that it is likely sympathy.  I know some of you reading this have survived similar abuse.  Something I’ve learned since being able to talk about this is that WAY too many people say, “It happened to me too,” or “It happened to my sister/mother/friend.”  If this is true for you, you understand… and I’m sorry.  I fear that some of you will question why I would bring this up, but I hope that someday I won’t fear that – and that other victims won’t have to experience that fear.

The thing that is driving me to find these words is hope.  I have so much more hope than fear, that I am driven to share…  so I’ll continue.

Before I could feel our baby kick in my belly, my memories, my fears, came rushing to the forefront of my mind.  I knew my fear was not enough to excuse me from actively protecting our child from the possibility of this abuse.  I knew I would have to go through the pain that I buried.  Up until that positive pregnancy test, I was still in survival mode.  I denied my past to myself so that I could function on a daily basis. When I saw that second pink line, I entered protection mode.  The excuses I had made for the man who molested me, all the coping mechanisms I used, they fell short of being enough when I put my own child in my shoes.  If my step-father molested my child, it wouldn’t matter that he might have been drunk.  It wouldn’t matter if he has been sober for years now, it wouldn’t matter that my mother is still married to him, it wouldn’t matter that people would hate me for reporting it.  I came to the realization that simply, none of that mattered, period.  I had to forget the excuses in order to ensure that my step-father would never molest my child.

So, I began working through what had happened to me.  I worked very hard at sorting out the pain before our first baby boy was born.  In the first two years of our son’s life, it was enough for me to avoid my step-father.  I tried not to let him hold our baby.  I would never allow my step-father to be alone with our son, and we turned down all requests for overnight visits.

Truth fears nothing but concealment.  ~Proverb
As time went on, I started to open up to my friends, and I was hit again with a realization that my current methods for handling this past fell short.  I knew what my step-father did, so I could choose to protect my child from him.  But almost no one else knew.  When I told my best friend in the world, who was in her third trimester of pregnancy, who was my maid-of-honor, who is the dearest friend I’ve ever had, I realized how horrible it was to not speak up; I was ashamed that I had not told her sooner.  She had a right to know, she had a right to protect her child just as much as I did. 

I went home that night and typed into the Google search bar “molest statute of limitations”, but I was still a ways off from doing the right thing.

Nearly three years after that first phone call with my little sister, and after a lot of soul searching, I was ready to take the information about my abuse as far as was necessary.  I approached my little sister.  I let her know that I was considering reporting the abuse to the state police, and asked how she felt about it.  She barely let me get it all out when she agreed it was the right thing to do and said she would also report what happened to her, although she had a lot more to lose by reporting (my little sister… she’s a tough cookie).

So we reported it.  Then, we waited.  In my naivety, I hoped for a particular phone call - from my mother, or others in the family.  I hoped they (my family) still loved me.  Many of them didn’t… love us, that is.  At least they didn’t love us enough to face holding a child molester accountable - even if that person is their husband, their father, their friend.  Each phone call that never came was a new wound to heal from.  I am still healing.  Still now, when I see young men that are the same age as my dear brother, and I wonder what he might be like now, nearly three years since I last saw him; it takes my breath away.  THAT loss is the biggest I have faced since the first night I was abused.

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.  ~James A. Garfield
 
While I went on in disbelief, reeling from the continued and surprising betrayal from friends and family, the investigator found more victims.  When I would learn that someone else had been abused, that they tried to report it, my heart broke.  But I had so much hope that this was the opportunity for that wrong to be made right. There were four victims found in the investigation. 

We were patient as we fought politics.  Yes, somehow when a little girl is violated by a grown man, politics matter.  The prosecutor in office at the time never returned any of my 3 dozen phone calls.  When a new prosecutor took office, the investigator on the case submitted the case again, and we still waited, more politics.  Finally, 16 months after we first shared our story with authorities, our case was handed over to a special prosecutor (you know, to avoid politics – I’m groaning and rolling my eyes as I type this).

Charges were filed, then dropped for further investigation.  Finally, there was a GRAND JURY INDICTMENT!!!!  What does that mean? A jury reviewed all the evidence and ordered several arrests – on 6 felony charges!!  Others were also indicted for neglect of a dependent, official misconduct, and assisting a criminal (one of these two people was my step-father’s brother)!! Folks, WAY too many adults knew what was happening to us girls.  They knew it was happening, and they kept their heads down.  They allowed us girls to bear the weight of their fears, their egos.  We paid the price.  We were the currency offered up to continue in their lives the way they knew it.

It is error alone which needs the support of government.  Truth can stand by itself.  ~Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia
 
Then suddenly, with no warning at all, not even the courtesy of a phone call from the “special” prosecutor, ALL CHARGES WERE DROPPED!  That was it.  The prosecutor would hardly take our phone calls.  No call from ANYONE!  We just fell off of everyone’s radar.  When the prosecutor finally did answer my call, she blamed it on the statute of limitations.  The same statute of limitations that we spent so much time studying early in the case, that she had consulted with her colleagues so often about.  Apparently, Indiana State Law says that we weren’t afraid enough to justify not coming forward as children.  What’s worse? The man that abused me and at least three other girls from 1986 to 1998 is now fighting to erase his arrest record!  Seriously?!  A GRAND JURY thought this man should be charged with 6 felonies!  Just because he was not successfully convicted due to the statue of limitations, does not mean he didn’t do it or that the arrests were unwarranted.  Thankfully, the Indiana Attorney General’s office seems to be outside the reach of the political circus that has tainted this case, and I have hope that they will be successful in defending the arrests, thereby leaving at least some public evidence of what my step-father is capable of.  This situation, though, supports an ominous truth… not everyone that belongs on the sex offender registries will be found there. 

You can change that by holding yourself and everyone you know accountable when you know of this type of abuse.  It is hard, but it is harder for a victim to survive abuse than it is for the rest of the world to survive facing our own evils.

Unfortunately, none of these details of our case or the charges matter one bit to the little girl I was when I was so terrified about what was being done to me.  None of these details matter an inkling to the child that is the next potential victim.  I’ve made every single decision I’ve made thus far in an effort to protect other children just as precious as my very own children.  Countless people in positions to help further this goal have failed us, but my wounds are becoming scars, my fears are becoming lessons, my regret is becoming respect.  I am on the receiving end of an incredible amount of love that gives me all the strength I need.  I am no longer a victim, but a survivor.  I have survived what could have defeated me, and what remains to bear… is bearable.  I am happy, but that is not enough.

We do not err because truth is difficult to see.  It is visible at a glance.  We err because this is more comfortable.  ~Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or who says it.  ~Malcolm X

I remain unconvinced that my actions thus far have had the impact that I wish them to have.  So tonight, while my three children and husband sleep, I write.  I write to ask no small favor of you.  Do not pray for me.  Do not have sympathy for me.  Do not think that there is anything you could or should do for me…

What I ask is that you hold yourselves and everyone around you accountable, your neighbor, your mother, your best friend.  If you must pray, pray that the people in this world that are responsible for the protection of our children will protect them, from their own husband, their own cousin, sister, or co-worker.  Pray that the next time a child is abused,  the person that can protect them thinks first of the child and not what it will mean to piss off the community by shining a light on the inconvenient truth.  While I appreciate that most of you care that this happened to me, please know that my scars are not only from what my step-father did to me, but from the world that didn’t protect me, from my mother choosing not to know my children because I came forward about it, from my children never knowing their Uncle who, as far as I can tell, hates me for what his father did to me, from those that could have stopped it and didn’t, from those that could stand by me now and don’t. 

Stand by me and stand by all other victims in this world by saying to the abusers and the enablers that abuse is unacceptable! 

Do not stand idly by when you see evidence of the abuse.

Do not remain silent when the victim’s name comes up in conversation.  

Let it be KNOWN that you will not tolerate such complacency! 

It is not enough to believe what someone did was wrong, you have to let it be known.  Your silence is your acceptance of what happened.  If you do not speak up, you are guilty of feeding this society that allows the abuse.  When we enable abusers to continue in their abuse to avoid our own discomfort, we make the world nearly unbearable to someone less capable of coping with such pain.  When my mother avoided the pain of leaving the man that was abusing her daughters, she forced upon us a pain that we would bear for the rest of our lives.  If you are strong enough, if you can survive the discomfort, I ask you to face that fear so that a child with less strength doesn’t have to.

“The World suffers a lot.  Not because of the violence of bad people. But because of the silence of good people.” - Napoleon





I am no longer silent.

 

 

 

 

23 comments:

  1. God bless you for making the right choice. You did the right thing, but others failed you horribly. Be proud of stepping up and protecting your own children as well as others who might be exposed to this man. Hopefully you will be vindicated by the Attorney General's office. You are owed at least this. I'm so glad that you have your sister in your corner. You are not to blame for the poor choices of your family members. I wish you happiness and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your strength and bravery is what our world needs now more then ever. I'm a friend of a friend of yours and I am truly inspired by you coming forward. We must protect the children at all cost. Very well written and I love how your focus is not so much on what happened, but instead the lifelong aftermath of adults and the authorities turning their heads and enabling abuse to happen. We all need to be reminded that abuse at all levels happens to millions of children everyday, and most of those children may not grow up to be a strong independent adult or wonderful parent. In most cases, at some level the cycle can continue if no one helps the children. Thank you for reminding all of us to do the right thing all the time. I don't pretend to know anything about your family, but maybe on some level your brother new something was going on or just now right, but as a kid what could he do?? Maybe his absense is guilt as it would be natural for him to feel he should have protected you, but that was his father and he was a child too, but if that is the case, it does not make the guilt go away or perhaps there were more victims that will never come forward resulting in blaming you for outing this horrible act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. As for my brother, you're right. I have not seen or heard from him since the family found out we reported the abuse, so I have no idea what it was like for him. He might feel betrayed that I did not speak to him about it before coming forward... or many other possibilities. I still love him dearly, and I hope all the best for him. I fear his current emotions could be so strong that he's completely forgotten how close we once were. I pray that in the end the positive effect this has is greater than the negative.

      Delete
  3. I finally confronted my parents about abuse from an uncle I went through. It was hard and ugly. The response I got was "We messed up, we didn't want to cause waves within the family." My decision from this was to take my parents out of my will regarding custody of my child if something was to happen to me. They are mad, but not as mad and hurt as I have been since I was a teen. I thank you for your post, for your courage. Guilt and shame and hurt and not a way to live a life, and getting out of that is work. And I agree, we need to hold people accountable - these things should not happen to children. Children should not live in fear and let that influence the rest of their lives. I have live the majority of my life in flight/fight attitude, and it is exhausting. I don't want that for my daughter, so I am working on healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for what you've gone through. You are very strong and courageous to have confronted your past and dealt with your parents the way you did! You are a good parent to have protected your child that way! I pray that you'll continue to heal and maybe even find a way to get relief from the fight/flight instinct. It is exhausting, you deserve some rest from that pain.

      Delete
  4. I just want you to know I read this and then I finally made a report. Thank you for being brave and showing me how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for being brave! I hope as you move forward that you'll continue to heal and that your story is heard by people who will support you all the way!

      Delete
    2. I want to thank you. My daughter, Rosie, who wrote to you earlier, is the bravest person I know. There are ways I know I could have been a much better mom, someone who she could have trusted more to tell what was happening to her, but I wasn't. I am thankful she eventually did tell me. I want you to know, I hope she does already, that I am with her every step of the way. Thank you for sharing your story and for inspriring my daughter to take a step that, regardless of what comes of it, is one she deserves to know.... to publically say that she did nothing wrong and he is the monster, the law breaker, the thief of childhood that he is. Thank you for being a survivor and reminding others that it is okay to be a survivor too.

      Delete
  5. Rosie & Emily,
    Thank you for sharing with me! I'm so very impressed with both of you! Rosie, you are so VERY strong! Emily, you ARE a good mother for supporting your daughter! If you ever feel like you want to, please feel free to email me at KentuckySliceofHeaven@gmail.com. I will be praying for you, Emily, as you go through this. I hope that because of the strength you have now, and the support from your mother, that you find a much different experience than what I described above. You deserve to be heard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhh I'm in tears over here. so so soooo sorry that you had to go through that as a child and endure all of that pain through your adulthood. and seriously, how brave of you to share your story with the world and fight for what you know is right. I really hope this encourages others to come forward if this has happened to themselves or someone they know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in shock....Melissa, I've always viewed you as such a strong and humble woman. when you lived next door to me, you definitely did not live in the ideal household. somehow though, you always kept it together. You are such an amazing woman and I'm so happy for you and your new family. But whatever you do, do not go upon "death mountain"......also known as a giant pile of dirt in my backyard. I love you lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Ashley! You were a great friend to me when I needed it, and I really appreciate your kind words now! Love you too, lady!!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for speaking out, Melissa! I know what it takes to move through that fear and shine a light on that story. My abuse story did not happen within my family in the way that yours did. I can only imagine what it took to peel back that layer for you and your family. I don't think I will never know what happened to my abuser as she lives in another state and I haven't had contact with her since we moved to Indiana when I was 10 years old, but I share the same fear as you that the way we treat abuse in our culture as a whole puts all of our children at risk. I was abused by an older child, who was undoubtedly abused herself most likely by an adult. When people turn a blind eye, it gets perpetuated in SO many ways either by setting the stage for someone to become an abuser or because, as you point out, all the ways that it gets mishandled creates secondary wounds--all of which we need to address and heal from.

    These early years of parenthood have undoubtedly unleashed a new level of self-work for me to process what those experiences mean for me and my children. I had a lot of counseling about 10 years ago, but I have learned that dealing with childhood sexual abuse is definitely a spiral process--you spiral in and you spiral out as you heal (and re-heal) over and over again.

    I stand with you in love and solidarity.

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I'm so sorry for what you've been through! I really like your description of healing as a spiral process. I have imagined it that way but haven't heard it put it in those words. It seems that while the details of the abuse we both suffered are much different, there are a lot of similarities in the healing process. I'm thankful that there are parents out there, like you, who take on that new level of healing that comes with being a parent. Your children are blessed to have a Mama that works hard to process the past to have a better present. I also feel blessed to have been able to reconnect with you, and to see that there are others out there who are healing the same way that I am. Thank you, for all your kind words, and for sharing some of your story with me! I'm glad to know such a strong woman!

      Delete
  9. Thank you. I will take a step towards ending my own silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whitney, I pray that you'll find strength and support as you open up. You are incredibley strong to be ready to break your silence! Take care of yourself, and surround yourself with people who will support you! If you find people that don't, know that the world is full of people who will... I am one. If you ever feel like you want to, email me at kentuckysliceofheaven@gmail.com. The world needs more people with your strength!

      Delete
  10. I am so glad that you have broken the silence. I too was abused when I was younger. I was also stopped by formal charges being made due to the statute of limitations. I did get the person fired from their job, as he was a teacher, so that he could not harm any more students. If by speaking up, I saved only one other girl from being abused, it was worth it for me.

    I too am a survivor! I talk about my past as much as I can, and I have helped other girls/ladies because I have spoken up.

    Keep speaking...We heal in our openness.

    ~Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Mel! You are exactly right! I know if a potential victim that was spared because of your bravery knew that they were protected by your actions, they would value your strength more than anyone! I'm sorry that the statute of limitations protected the perpetrator more than it protected you. I hope that the more people like you and me speak up, the more we can change our culture and how we view this dark aspect of our world. I hope that more victims will be able to speak up, and that when they do, our society rallies around them. Thank you so much for speaking up. Thank you for the strength that our world needs. And thank you for sharing some of your story!

      Delete
  11. Melissa, I'm a friend of a friend (Laura), and I'm in awe of your bravery and strength. Thank you for sharing your story, thank you for stepping forward, thank you for enduring the slings and arrows of your family in order to do the right thing. You're in my thoughts and prayers -- may you be surrounded by love and support as you continue this process, and may others be inspired by your bravery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Lillian!

      Delete
  12. Melissa, You are one in a million, a gorgeous, intelligent, courageous woman whose story will now inspire others to have the courage to speak out. I loved, admired, and respected you long before I knew you'd been subjected to the horror of abuse. We are hearing about it these days, and many of us will likely think it's something that's arisen in and among the recent changes to our culture where "political correctness" has taken such a toll on our society. It isn't. Nothing new about child abuse; it's been around perhaps as long as humans. Just a couple of years ago, I learned from my mother that she was abused by her uncle, before she was even six years old. My mother's 86! You and your sister are so brave, and may never know how much good you have brought about by stepping up and bringing this horrible problem to light. I hate what our candy-ass justice system has failed to do for you and your sister. However, you've done so much good by exposing this individual, and helping to stop him from perpetrating his evil on other children. He will have to deal with the publicity and his own Karma in his way; but the important thing is that you and your sister can now fully heal. I'm so grateful to consider myself your friend. Love you, Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lin! You're right, this dark and secretive aspect of our culture is nothing new at all! I'm so sorry that your Mom experienced such abuse. I know you're not afraid to speak up when you have an opinion (*wink*), and I hope that others could have such courage when there is something so important that should be exposed. Let's all be open and honest, and it will be much easier to hold people accountable.

      Thank you so much for your kind words, and for your support as a friend!

      Delete
  13. Well said my "adopted".daughter, Melissa. So proud of you. As I've watched you walk this path to healing, my only regret is that we are not closer so I could give you a hug.

    ReplyDelete